Start Organizing Now for a Less-Stress Holiday Season
I will be the first person to tell you that we should take things "one holiday at a time" and nothing irks me more than seeing Christmas decorations during the blazing heat of a Texas August. However, we're halfway through October and starting to organize the holiday season now will save you a lot of time and stress once you're in the thick of it.
The following tips will get you well on your way to a stress-free and fun holiday season:
- Will you be doing any entertaining over the next few months? If so, now is the time to get your home organized and into "guest-worthy" shape. Work room by room, sorting and purging what is unnecessary to make room for decor and new gifts that you receive during the holidays.
- Take a look at your decorations. Sort them by season and holiday, then repurpose, recycle, donate or trash what you no longer love or what may have become damaged from time. This allows you to see what holes there are and what you may need to purchase to round out your decor.
- If you're entertaining, plan out your menu and other facets of your party and then start your lists. By getting everything in order now, you can spread out what needs to be done over the next couple of months instead of in mere days. This lessens the budgetary constraints and party-planning stress.
- Even if you aren't entertaining, working on gift lists now will save you a lot of shopping stress because you don't have to squeeze in shopping and fighting the crowds into a busier, holiday party season schedule.
- Want to entertain but the thought of planning a holiday party among every other holiday party makes you worry that nobody will show? Plan a post-holiday party in January! In going from over-scheduled to nothing-scheduled, many people feel a post-holiday slump. The sight of a casual cocktail party in the "dead" of January is always a boost. Of the people I know who do this, it is always well attended and easily one of the parties of the year.
Starting to work on organizing and planning piece by piece now will save you so much time and stress when you're in the thick of the holiday season.
Can't even think about the holidays until your home is in order and need help? I'm only an email away!