Food Geek Friday: Comfort Food
Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a hardcore food geek and all about real foods that haven't been jacked with. However, there are some times that I just have to have something that is straight up, comfort food - processed chemicals and all. It's all about balance anyway.
So today I present you with something my mom made all the time when I was growing up. Whenever a cold front kicked through or a bad day was had, this dish was delightfully trotted out. It's super-quick, super-tasty and just plain hits the spot. In time, I'll play around with this to create a healthier, real-food version, but today you get the original!
Oh...by the way...I've never known a name for this dish...I always called it that thing with the stew and biscuits.
- 1 can Dinty Moore Beef Stew
- Sour cream
- 1 can biscuits
- Preheat oven to temperature needed to cook biscuits.
- In an oven-safe dish appropriate to size of stew can you got (I used small can of stew and a 6"x9" dish), pour stew.
- Stir in sour cream until desired color and creaminess. (I like a medium tan color.) Pop in the oven for about 5 minutes
- Pull out of the oven and top with biscuits, then continue to cook as directed on biscuit package, until golden brown on top. After biscuits are done, let dish sit for a couple of minutes before you eat so you don't burn your mouth.
Side note: when cooked this way, the bicuits are sometimes not cooked on the bottom. I personally love that, but if you don't then cook the bicuits seperately and serve on top.
Pure, unadulterated comfort food. Enjoy!