Food Geek Friday: Garlic-Braised Chicken with Olives and Mushrooms
I've wanted to make this recipe since I found in Whole Living Magazine (Body + Soul at the time) last year. I love garlic, olives and mushrooms and the picture was so rustic and inviting that I really wanted to try it. However, as with many recipes I find that I want to try, I don't always do it right away. Well, I FINALLY made it last week and I'm so glad I did. It's so delicious and savory and even better as leftovers! Garlic-Braised Chicken with Olives and Mushrooms adapted from Whole Living Magazine
- 1 lb package of chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 heads garlic (at least 16 cloves), smashed and peeled
- 8 oz package of button mushrooms, cleaned and halved. (quarter the larger mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup olives (I used pitted Mediterranean mix from my Central Market olive bar)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl. Add chicken, skin side down. Let brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; set aside.
Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan, followed by garlic and mushrooms; let brown, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add wine to mushrooms and garlic and bring to a boil, then cook for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan.
Add olives and chicken stock to pan; bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover; simmer until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with brown rice or favorite rustic grain.