Food Geek Friday: Brown Sugar Cinnamon Strawberry Muffins
Last weekend I picked up some strawberries at the farmers market. They were nearing the end of what the lady had and, admittedly, didn't look too great but I had to get them. I was so excited to finally see some fruit since all it's been the past few weeks are spring greens! First, I sliced some to top Nutella on toast. Perfection. However, I knew that perfection wouldn't last long because they were already starting to get overripe. I needed to cook them up and quick.
Muffins to the rescue.
I found this muffin recipe on Allrecipes.com and played around with it to a tasty result.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Strawberry Muffins adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil or line 10 muffin tins. (Original recipe said 8, but I ended up with 10)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, milk, and egg. Beat lightly, pour into dry ingredients and stir.
- Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes, or until the tops bounce back from the touch. (It only took mine 15 minutes) Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.