Food Geek Friday: Tomato-free Spaghetti Sauce
I got this recipe from a client. It is so simple and easy and uses items you most likely already have in your pantry - fantastic for when you need to throw together dinner on the fly. Admittedly, as I tasted while I went along I was afraid I wouldn't like it. However, once I just let go and let it do its thing, it turned out to be a wonderful, savory sauce. Tomato-free Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary (a full tbsp if using fresh)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the hamburger meat in a large pan. Place on paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Toss onion into the pan and saute until translucent and juices start to release.
- Return beef into pan, along with other ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquids thicken, about 15 to 30 minutes.
With some of the leftovers, I added some mushrooms and cream. I started by sauteing mushrooms, then I added in more beef stock, cream and then the leftovers to heat it all together. It was great over some polenta. The sauce is a great base to springboard all sorts of creative options!