Food Geek Friday: Pumpkin Smoothie
D/FW had its first "cold" front come through and it's after Labor Day which only means one thing... No more white pants.
Wait...this is supposed to be about food.
And I don't pay attention to such tired fashion rules anyway.
Where was I? Oh yes! It's pumpkin time!
I love fall and I'm aaaaaall about some pumpkin. Actually, I think it's really just about the spices and pumpkin is the vehicle. Either way, I dig it.
A while back I found a recipe for a pumpkin smoothie. Smoothies are my morning go-to when I don't have much time (as was the case this past week) and the red velvet smoothie was such a hit, I thought I'd give it a go. However, as I revisited the recipe I just wasn't that into their version so I started tinkering. Happily,I nailed it first try.
Amounts are approximate. Play around with to suit your taste.
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 frozen banana (It's just here for thickness, sweetness and coldness. Make sure to not add too much or the banana will overpower the pumpkin flavor.)
- spoonful of almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- few dashes of cinnamon
- few dashes of nutmeg (I would have used pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg but for some inexplicable reason I didn't have any)
- almond milk to thin to desired consistency (or other milk of your choice)
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
You could also spike this with some vanilla vodka or whiskey. Best not to do that in the morning though. Like I said before, spiked or not, I enjoy my smoothies in a frosty martini glass. It adds a nice perk to the day.
What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?