Food Geek Friday: Baked Eggs with Chicken Apple Sausage and Cheddar
I've been ranting this week about time and storage units, so how about some comfort food? This creation came about when I woke up at 4:00 one morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Eventually I became hungry and started playing around with random items in the fridge. Next thing you know, I hit on greatness.
(Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm the girl that can't sleep so cooks. I'm not sure how that happened either.)
The key thing to this recipe, as with most recipes, is the quality of the ingredients. There isn't much to this, so you really have to have great ingredients to make this a great dish. I used organic eggs, Applegate Farms chicken and apple sausage (no artificial anything going on in there) and a beautiful, raw milk aged cheddar with crunchy bits from Wisconsin. Everyone played together beautifully in the dish and it's now one of my easy go-to meals as you just toss things in the bowl, bake and eat. This is a great option for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 2 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1 pre-cooked chicken apple sausage link
- grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a ramekin or other individually sized, oven proof dish. (I left a little pat in the bottom as well.)
- Chop sausage link into bite sized pieces and add to ramekin.
- Beat eggs and small splash of milk within an inch of their life and pour into ramekin. Be careful to not get it too full. The dish will rise while cooking.
- Grate cheddar on top. Not too much or it will interfere with the cooking.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly golden and the eggs are cooked through. Be careful to not overcook as the eggs will continue to cook after you remove the dish from the oven.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes and then enjoy!