Food Geek Friday: Bacon, Kale and Sweet Potato Mash
Sometimes my work in the kitchen becomes a happy accident. This past Saturday I was making dinner. I didn't particularly feel like making dinner, but I had kale that needed to be used pretty quickly and was spinning a new recipe that would fit the bill.
But remember, I didn't want to make dinner. So before I turned the mash mixture into little cakes to fry up, I stopped.
Laziness got me.
And it was delicious.
The rest of the dinner was equally as thrown together as this ended up. Salmon sauteed in a little butter on skin side, then flipped and cooked with a mix of white wine, mustard and cream. And in the end I had a really, REALLY good and satisfying meal.
So much so that I didn't even get a picture of all of it first.
The next morning I did finally get around to making the mash into patties. And it was a lovely addition to my eggs for breakfast.
Bacon, Kale and Sweet Potato Mash
- 5-6 slices bacon, chopped
- one bunch of kale, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place sweet potatoes and in pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add kale.
- Meanwhile, fry up chopped bacon.
- Drain sweet potatoes and kale and place in large pot. Add bacon, salt and pepper. Mash until desired consistency.
Take little bit of mash mixture to form a patty. Fry up in fat of choice approximately 3 minutes on each side.
Have you had any happy accidents in the kitchen recently? What were they?