Food Geek Friday: Pumpkin Pecan Layer Pie with Whiskey Whipped Cream
This is the last pie recipe you'll ever need. Seriously.
Every year a dear friend of mine gathers her nearest and dearest for a "Friendsgiving." Her related family is small so over time she's created the "friend-amily" that's quite large. And delightfully rambunctious.
See...you can pick your family after all.
After the meal, my friend pops a pie into the oven and what emerges is the most glorious thing I've ever smelled. We're waiting for it to cool and she mentions there's Cool Whip to go on top. I, however, spy my current favorite whiskey (which is AWESOME in desserts) on her bar cart and mention a different option - whiskey whipped cream. She's game and I whip it up for us.
This, Sunshines, turned into a match made in heaven. Sort of like the pie...it was born when my friend couldn't find her second Emile Henry pie dish (which she swears by) so poured the pecan pie on top of the pumpkin.
I love happy accidents in the kitchen.
Pumpkin Pecan Layer Pie with Whiskey Whipped Cream
For the pie:
1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1/3 cup sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine 1 egg, pumpkin, 1/3 cup sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl and stir to mix well. Spread over the bottom of the pie shell.
- Combine 2 eggs, corn syrup, 1/2 cup of sugar, butter and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the pecans. Spoon over the pumpkin mixture.
- Back for 50 min or until the filling is set.
For the whipped cream:
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- Place ingredients in a bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Notes since I don't measure my whipped creams - if it's not whipping up there's too much booze. Add cream. If you can't taste the whiskey, add more. If it's too strong for you, add more sugar.
What's your favorite pie?