Food Geek Friday: Chickpea Curry
Every so often I come across a recipe that I rip out of the magazine and make almost immediately. This is one of those recipes. It's not like anything I've made before but just looked so good and was quick, easy and healthy so I had to. I'm glad I did.
The seasoning needed some tweaking from the original recipe but it's definitely a winner. I shared leftovers with friends and the next day got a text that said this was "badass."
Winner in my book.
adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 tbsp garam masala
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted crushed tomatoes
- Approx. 6oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- Heat pan over medium-high heat and oil. Once oil is heated add onion and saute. When onion is almost fully translucent and tender, add garlic. Saute until garlic is fragrant, about a minute or two.
- Stir in garam masala; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, cooking until hot.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Serve over basmati rice and sprinkle with cilantro.