Food Geek Friday: Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup with Kale
The other day I was updating my recipe binder and re-ran across this gem I pulled to test out. I had picked up some sweet potatoes (among many other things) at Southside Urban Market last Saturday and decided some of them need to happen in this soup. I'm so glad I did because:
- It was much more satisfying - body and soul - than I expected.
- It was perfect leftovers for the rainy weathers of this week.
It was actually pretty good as leftovers in general.
Make this during a bought of cold, grey weather and see for yourself. Or when you just need some healthy, comfort food.
Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup with Kale
- splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage (I used bulk sausage from the butcher)
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until almost translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant and onion is completely translucent, another minute or so.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook until sweet potatoes are about 3-4 minutes from being done. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until greens are wilted. Serve with crusty, garlic bread if you are so inclined.