Food Geek Friday: Creamy Corn with Bacon (Dairy-Free)
This has always been an interesting time of year for me. I start craving comfort foods (especially with an ever-growing to-do list happening) but it's just too damn hot to be bothered with that nonsense. Even if this summer has been no where near as brutal as summers past.
Last Saturday, I picked up corn among other things from one of the newest farmers markets in the area, BRIT on the first Saturday of the month. (Corn came from Cold Springs Farm - organic and ALWAYS delicious. Tell Bev I said Hi!) I LOVE fresh corn and there are so many different ways to make it. As I looked to see what else I had in the fridge - and the comfort food craving still nagging - creamy was the way to go.
With added bacon...because...Bacon.
Creamy Corn with Bacon (Dairy-Free)
- Fresh corn on the cob
- Coconut cream (see note)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Chop bacon. Saute in pan until done. Remove bacon from pan, leaving grease.
- While bacon is cooking, slice corn off cob. After bacon is removed from pan, add corn, salt and pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add coconut cream, bacon and cayenne if using. Simmer until cream is melted and everything is hot and well-incorporated.
- I get coconut cream by placing a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge for a minimum of overnight to a full day. The milk will separate into creme the thickness of Greek Yogurt and a milky coconut water. Bonus tip from a friend of mine - open the BOTTOM of the can and then pour water off the top. Easier than scooping out the solid top.
- Can also make with chopped, fresh jalapeno. If so, toss it in the pan with the corn.
- Vegan/vegetarian alternative: saute the corn in coconut oil or fat of choice. Add smoked paprika to replace smokiness of the bacon.
What is your favorite way to make corn?