Food Geek Friday: Lentil Salad
The other day a friend of mine and I were discussing lentils. She and her family love them. It's only recently that I tried them for the first time and I enjoy them quite a bit too. Today I'm sharing the recipe I used for the first time I tried them. It's adapted from the now defunct Whole Living magazine. Damn I miss that magazine.
Such a strange little word for a lovely little food. What do you think about lentils?
Adapted from Whole Living
- Butter or fat of choice for sauteing
- extra virgin olive oil for dressing
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 cup lentils, cooked rinsed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh squeezed juice from one or two lemons
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- In a medium pan, heat fat/oil of choice over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add lentils and continue to cook until lentils are heated. Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evoo, lemon juice, and pepper flakes. Add lentil mixture, almonds, and cabbage, toss to combine.