Food Geek Friday: Quinoa Mocha Chia Pudding Parfait
Sunshines, prepare yourself for pure decadence. OK. So the name is clunky and it might even sound gross to you. When I posted this picture earlier this week, it evoked responses from "Is it alive?" to "Will you be my personal chef?"
I'm just going to have to ask for your trust on this one. I don't think I've let you down yet, and I don't intend to start now.
This idea started to evolve a few weeks ago when I had random ingredients that needed to be used up. I plugged them into the Googles and then scrolled through for inspiration. When I attempted to actually follow a recipe, it went oh-so-awry.
I know better than to proper follow recipes.
So after a number of tweaks, this was born.
I've had it for breakfast and as a filling snack when I know dinner is a long way away. Enjoy.
Quinoa Mocha Chia Pudding Parfait
For the Mocha Chia Pudding
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut milk. (I prefer the canned, full-fat version for extra decadence)
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
- Heaping spoonful or so of cocoa powder
- Sweetener of choice, to taste. (I used maple syrup. You may want to add in a little more than you would usually use. The dish loses some sweetness when it's cold.)
- Mix together everything but the chia seeds until well incorporated. Add chia seeds and stir until well mixed.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge at least 15 minutes to overnight. (This will also keep for a few days so you can make a few for breakfasts/snacks for the week.)
For the Quinoa
Purchase pre-cooked quinoa or cook some quinoa according to package directions. (At the beginning of the week I cook up a batch of quinoa to use in different dishes through the week so I just use some of that for this dish. If cooking specifically for this dish, cook ahead so it will be chilled.)
For the Peanut Butter Sauce
- Peanut butter
- Honey, to taste
- Milk, enough to thin to desired consistency
- Mix peanut butter and honey together. Stir in milk bit by bit until mixture is desired, saucy consistency.
For the parfait:
Layer ingredients starting with the mocha chia pudding. Then the quinoa. Top with peanut butter honey sauce. Depending upon dish and amounts of food made, continue layering until done.