Food Geek Friday: Cauliflower Soup
During the holidays (and pretty much any time I'm busy) I like to have some prepared meals on hand so that I can have healthy meals and avoid resorting to take-out. I recently made this cauliflower soup which is delicious and packed with veggies to keep you energized for your busy holiday schedule.
As well as offsets all of those indulgent party foods that I hope you're partaking in!
It's easy to do so there's pretty much no excuse to try this unless you hate cauliflower*.
*If you hate cauliflower try subbing in a veggie that you do enjoy. The recipe itself is pretty basic so it could work. Or dump in a bunch o'cheese so that the cauliflower is merely a vehicle for the cheese.
- Mire poix - Combo chopped onion, carrots, and celery. I buy pre-prepped because I'm lazy...ahem...efficient.
- Fat of choice - I like butter.
- Garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets - yep, I buy this pre-prepped too.
- Veggie stock - the color won't be white but will have more flavor. If you want a white soup, use water instead.
- 1 tsp prepared mustard. I've used spicy brown, stone ground, and dijon all to good results.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large stock pot, melt fat of choice over medium heat. Add mire poix, garlic and cauliflower, and saute until the onions are lightly golden. About 10 minutes.
- Add stock or water until the veggies are covered. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add mustard, salt, and pepper. Blend to desired smoothness using either immersion blender, food processor, or blender. Personally, I started with the immersion blender to break it down then poured it into a blender to make it really smooth. If using a blender, be careful and remember to vent so it doesn't blow up on you from steam pressure.
Ladle into a bowl and enjoy!
* this is also really fantastic if you add in a lot of shredded cheese and top with nutmeg as seen in the photo