Food Geek Friday: Red Wine Marinated Pears
This is one of my favorite recipes to transition summer to fall. We're finally seeing cooler weather on a semi-regular basis so it's time to trot this bad boy out. Today's recipe uses pears but a number of fruits work well. The original recipe uses peaches and last week I made this with apples.
This recipe is low maintenance and variable enough that it can take you into the holidays. And yes, I know it's still a touch too early to think about holidays but as a friend of mine said when she tried this, "Oh my God! This tastes like Christmas!"
Pro tip: it's also a great cover if you buy an unfortunate bottle of wine like I did last week.
Red Wine Marinated Pears
Adapted from Fitness Magazine
- Fruity red wine.
- Warming spices of choice. I go with what's in my spice collection at the time. Usually cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg to start. Can also use pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice.
- Core and slice pears. Place in large bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat up wine, sugar, and spices until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over pears until covered. Let sit for at least one hour.
- Can serve whipped cream, ice cream or on their own. Also really great on top of waffles, pancakes, French toast and even oatmeal for a boozy brunch.