Food Geek Friday: Butternut Squash Hash
I love hash. It's easy, delicious, and a good "meal-starter" if you're cooking for one. Today's hash uses fall flavors, and at the end I'll give you variations so leftovers don't feel quite so...left over.
Butternut Squash Hash
- Butternut squash, chopped
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, chopped
- Mushrooms, chopped
- Sweet Italian sausage, in bulk. (If in links, remove skins to create bulk sausage.)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage.
- When sausage is almost cooked, move to outer edges of skillet. Add chopped onion to center. Cook until slightly translucent.
- Add garlic into center and cook for another minute or so until frangrant. When stirring, make sure to keep onion and garlic in the center and the sausage on the outside.
- After onion and garlic are done, mix everything together. Add butternut squash and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Continue to cook until everything is finished.
- Top with fried egg, as shown with recipe.
- Turn into a frittata. Place a handful or so of mixture into small skillet. Cover with beaten egg. Cook in oven at 350 until egg is cooked. (good topped with cheese)
- Add pasta. Can eat as is or add in pasta sauce too.
- Add broth for soup. I'd add in some torn kale as well.