Before and After: The Party Fridge
Today is a quick and fun cleaning out and re-organization of second refrigerator.
Pro tip: to be ready for the holidays it's best to start preparing before the holidays...so they don't sneak up on you, and stress you the F out.
This client loves hosting parties - many impromptu - so the little bit of time cleaning out the party fridge goes a long way to making hostessing duties fun rather than frazzled.
I started by taking everything out of the fridge and sorting the items into categories.
Pro tip: Those that have been around here for a while know that I usually don't recommend pulling everything out of an area before organizing. For large and/or super-cluttered areas it can make more overwhelming than it may already be. However, this is a small area without emotional attachments so it works out well.
Food and beverages were sorted into broad categories - snacks, wine, water, mixers, etc.
My client and I went through the sorted piles and decided what to let go.
- Expired items were thrown away. Some items went into the main refrigerator, and things she knew she'd never consume went into a give-away pile.
After taking advantage of the empty fridge time and wiping down all of the shelves, I re-adjusted their heights a bit then put everything away - keeping all like items together.
- Tall non-alcoholic drinks went on the top shelf.
- Wines laid on their sides in the shelves underneath.
- Snacks went into the crisper drawers in the bottom.
- Beers went into a shelf on the door, as did non-alcoholic drinks that fit.
Et voila! A party fridge that is ready to party!
(As well as hold more party foods!)
Total time: 2 hours