Food Geek Friday: Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta
Since this week I've been talking about helping loved ones with their clutter, why not whip up some comfort food to go along with? Eating your feelings? Not necessarily always the best option...but sometimes just a really good one. Especially when it's delicious. Mmmmmm...delicious feelings...
I made this dish the other week from impulse purchases at Trader Joes. The funniest part was when I noticed in my TimeHop (Do you use TimeHop? If you spend any amount of time on social media, I recommend it. It's fun.) that one year prior on the same date I had made a dish with mushrooms and asparagus.
What can I say? It's spring, and I have favorite spring food combinations.
So when I saw the pre-prepped asparagus saute at Trader Joe's, I jumped on it. A quick saute, toss with pasta and a touch of cream and you're done. Great for a lazy weekend meal or quick weeknight dinner.
Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta
- Asparagus, cut into bite length pieces
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Onion, sliced
- Fat of choice (I used leftover bacon grease)
- Penne pasta (any pasta will do but I think the shape of the penne works well with the asparagus
- Cream (or coconut or cashew cream if you don't do dairy)
(Time-saver - I used a pre-prepped package of asparagus, mushroom, and onion.)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat up fat in a skillet to medium heat. Sautee asparagus, mushrooms, and onions until almost cooked. It generally takes just a few minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to veggies. Pour in just enough cream to coat. Continue to heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to bowl and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite spring food combinations?