Food Geek Friday: Creamy Broccoli Soup
Can you tell this was my favorite magazine?
This soup recipe was part of their "2013 Action Plan" in the last issue published. I was really surprised and impressed with how good it was. You see, while I'm a HUGE fan of healthy eating and enjoy a green smoothie as much as the next gal, I'm not always *that* keen on green veg. And I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the broccoli. I don't mind it raw or lightly cooked, but the texture starts to gross me out when it gets too cooked. So it was with some hesitation that I tried this dish.
However, this soup also had avocado which is ALWAYS a win in my book, so how could it go wrong?
And it didn't.
We're closely inching out of hot soup weather but this soup is really nice and leaves you feeling full of energy afterwards, perfect for spring!
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 1 Tbsp fat of choice - butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (may substitute chicken)
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until almost translucent. Then add in garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until fragrant, another couple of minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper. Stir in spinach and allow spinach to wilt.
- Add avocado and blend everything with an immersion blender until desired texture. (May also use blender or food processor. Make sure it doesn't explode on you do to heat.)
- Adjust seasoning as necessary. May garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.